Sunday 15 May 2016

Projects That Almost Aren't

Note to Self: How am I supposed to become a better person when I am constantly being rewarded for procrastination and sloth?

Briefly (or not:) I bought this paisley wool challis as a bolt end over 25 years ago. I made it into a loose jacket-type shirt over 12 years ago. At one point I added a few tucks to add waist shaping but I never really liked the fit. At the beginning of April, I started working on a revision.
The top ends at the widest part of my hips.

No waist definition.
My first plan was to open up the side seams from the hem up to the bottom of the sleeves and re-cut the front and back with the shoulders attached, saving myself the hassle of redoing the neck and button band. Then I decided I shouldn't be so lazy and at least remove the sleeves, even if I did leave the shoulder seams intact.

For some reason I decide to cut the sleeve out first.

Then the pattern pieces didn't match the remaining material available unless I did not want to use the existing neck facing.




The front was worse than the back, so I reattached part of the original sleeve piece to the edge of the armscye.



Then when I overlapped the shoulder seams, the back didn't fit. I briefly considered giving up.

So the back of the sleeve was reattached to the back armscye. (Are you starting to understand how this would have been so much easier if I had just opened the side seams and cut everything out with it flat?)

I sewed the sleeves in flat, then redid the side seams.

The result is better, both in a trimmer fit and shorter length.

Plus the curved hem land where I start to curve in.

Is anyone taking bets that I won't be doing things 'properly' next time?

4 comments:

  1. It definitely looks a lot better now it's been re-engineered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I haven't worn it for years but have worn it twice since I took it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sox this is so funny. Now that is true perseverence! Worth the trials though as I love the top and the challis is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Stephanie. All the hassle has slowed me down with my other revisions but I'm still plodding on.

    ReplyDelete