Sunday 8 December 2013

A Pirate's Honeycrisp Mittens -They're Arrrrr-gyle

Yes, a huge groaner. But the mitts are great.

Winter has arrived and it seems even colder this year. Or else I'm becoming a wimp.

I have made mittens before by tracing around my hands, but they were less than stellar in their fit. The Honeycrisp looked very close-fitting around the wrist, the better to keep old cold winter drafts.

I used two thrifted sweaters I felted.

The grey sweater is much heavier than the argyle pair and could have been a size bigger, and they have a funny shape (they look like scuba mitts to me), but they will be fine as liners in leather mitts. The argyle pair, being thinner will go in in a smaller pair of leather mitts.
It may seem odd to have several different mitten combinations, but hands that are too hot and sweaty from too heavy a combination get just as cold as hands in too light a combo.
Yes, I spend far too much time thinking about this.

2 comments:

  1. Great mittens! I agree with the layering of mitts, it makes sense. And yes, we sure got the cold spell then, -30!! It felt more like the depths of January at the start of December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a dreadfully long winter. I'm taking my various mitten combinations out regularly. At least it doesn't feel like I waste my time sewing winter stuff.

    ReplyDelete